Village Homes on the Web and in print
This page contains a collection of links to sites and print publications which discuss Village Homes. We've tried to include only unique information (there are a number of sites which mention Village Homes, but merely contain a link to one of these sites).
Web sites and pages
- American Communications Foundation
- A story which addresses the question "Why hasn't the Village Homes model spread to other communities?"
- Community Greens
- A summary of several special communities across the US, including Village Homes
- Ecocomposite.Org (site of Professor David A. Bainbridge)
- Writeup by Professor Bainbridge, VH Resident and Co-author with Judy Corbett of "Village Homes' Solar House Designs". Includes index of books and articles about Village Homes.
- In Context, A Quarterly of Humane Sustainable Culture
- Village Homes: A model solar community proves its worth
- Local Government Commission
- This organization offers organized walking tours of Village Homes (contact information on the site). In addition, the site contains a lot of summarized quantitative statistics on Village Homes construction, density, average energy usage per capita, etc.
- Rocky Mountain Institute
- Overview of Village Homes facts and figures
- Sustainable Petaluma Network
- A field trip by several Petalumans to VH, and their impressions upon seeing it for the first time
- Time Magazine
- Part of a "Heroes for the Planet" series, with a profile of Michael Corbett, and interview regarding his perspective on Village Homes circa 1999. Also includes quotes by Judy Corbett and various Village Homes residents.
- The Town Paper
- 2002 interview with Judy Corbett discussing Village Homes and her nonprofit group, the Local Government Commission
- UC Berkeley Architecture Department
- Student project to analyze and improve the passive solar design in a Village Homes house
- Energy and the Human Environment: Toward Better Neighborhood Design, By Judy and Michael Corbett
- From the Local Government Commission's Human Ecology Monograph Series
- Designing Sustainable Communities: Learning From Village Homes, by Michael Corbett
- A book about designing and building sustainable communities, using Village Homes as the primary example, by the developer of Village Homes
- Village Homes: A Community By Design, by Mark Francis
- A critical look at many facets of our community, written by a professor of landscape architecture and environmental design at UC Davis
Did we miss one? Are there other Village Homes-related websites out there? Please let us know; email the webmaster with the site link.